News

Massive advancement in PMG editing!  Click here!

Keep in mind that you must register an account, and be logged in to view any content on this site.

Mabinogi Status

Erinn Timer

Time
Erinn Time 14:58
Local 01:34
Server 01:34
Moongate Prior G16 [ + / - ]
11:11 Tir Chonaill
12:22 Dunbarton
13:33 Emain Macha
14:44 Bangor
14:44 Emain Macha
16:66 Emain Macha

Ceo in days.

Price [ + / - ]
01:12 Emain Macha - Island in South Pathway
01:48 Sen Mag 5th house from West
Rua [ + / - ]
01:39 Resting
02:15 Resting

Themes

Author Topic: Enforcing Block Against Third-Party Programs and Mods  (Read 25567 times)

Offline NovaDracon28

Re: Enforcing Block Against Third-Party Programs and Mods
« Reply #25 on: May 09, 2016, 07:31:00 PM »
the only thing i have to say about this is if mabi does manage to back up there threat, they will kill 90% of ther player base if not more.I mean who doesn't mod this pathetic excuse of game that hasn't update itself since it was made.
There is a fine line between being smart and being stupid. I find that many people choose not to be smart

Offline Fl0rn

« Reply #26 on: May 09, 2016, 10:54:00 PM »
the only thing i have to say about this is if mabi does manage to back up there threat, they will kill 90% of ther player base if not more.I mean who doesn't mod this pathetic excuse of game that hasn't update itself since it was made.

I still talk to a handful of people now and then who say they won't mod for w/e reason.  Most people will though, even if they alone won't go out and find mods, all it takes is someone helping them.

Offline dahpromichael

« Reply #27 on: May 09, 2016, 11:33:02 PM »
I really hope they either allow/work with the makers of Abyss(or current developers) to allow in some form or fashion a way to actually play this game. I am running on a pretty crappy laptop but it runs league of legends fine on high graphics, but can barely run mabinogi no matter where i am. Once I installed Abyss i could play the game smoothly with little to no lag except of course in event areas, dunbarton, and belvast, and even then it is very minor lag for me. So if they completely remove all mods and don't fix the game to be playable, I might have to stop playing mabinogi...

Offline ShaggyZE

« Reply #28 on: May 09, 2016, 11:44:06 PM »
it's worse for those over seas, they require mods to play due to the distance from the servers, but worst case scenario i'm sure development on the private mabinogi servers will be prioritized as more people will need closer servers or control over custom content like mods for enjoyment or increased functionality.
"People are stupid; given proper motivation, almost anyone will believe almost anything. Because people are stupid, they will believe a lie because they want to believe it's true, or because they are afraid it might be true. People's heads are full of knowledge, facts, and beliefs, and most of it is false, yet they think it all true. People are stupid; they can only rarely tell the difference between a lie and the truth" ― Wizard's First Rule

Offline Fl0rn

« Reply #29 on: May 10, 2016, 10:58:43 PM »
it's worse for those over seas, they require mods to play due to the distance from the servers, but worst case scenario i'm sure development on the private mabinogi servers will be prioritized as more people will need closer servers or control over custom content like mods for enjoyment or increased functionality.

To say nothing of the combat system and the 'difficulty level' of the game now.  I mean, i can solo MA with no reforges or pets, and not even use decent enchants...  Then i've seen people who can hit up to like 10x the normal damage on some skills thanks to reforges, and several who spam pets for aoe stuns...  Seeing things truly balanced to like they were back in g3, just example, when the only 'cheap pet' trick you saw, was pet rolling the ciar golem, so you had to actually try to make progress, was fun even if slow.

If a mabi server actually progressed along those lines, and wasn't exclusive, i'd probably jump to join it.

Offline ShaggyZE

« Reply #30 on: May 11, 2016, 12:46:33 AM »
forgive me for saying but is that not the same as every other game in existence, time and perks and quality of combo's and understanding of the system-antics is what makes any player different from elite too noob, these things are irrelevant and don't need to be mentioned, it has nothing to do with modding as much as experience and the help you get from other players and a very slight idea from mods or guides only because they might explain a cp or ap advantage that wiki does better, this is what makes boys into men or women in any game front and it hasn't changed since colecovision (just before atari adventure games, for those who are old enough to remember) it's your choices that define your character..., strengths and weakness's it's the same game, only diversified to multiplayer across networks.
nothing is ever exclusive, nor class or combat style, it's all been done before and will be redone again in another form.
"People are stupid; given proper motivation, almost anyone will believe almost anything. Because people are stupid, they will believe a lie because they want to believe it's true, or because they are afraid it might be true. People's heads are full of knowledge, facts, and beliefs, and most of it is false, yet they think it all true. People are stupid; they can only rarely tell the difference between a lie and the truth" ― Wizard's First Rule

chaoticoracle225

« Reply #31 on: May 11, 2016, 06:56:53 AM »
So the day has come for the enforcing to begin! Now we wait.

Offline atralen

« Reply #32 on: May 11, 2016, 09:34:51 AM »
Soo, what is the best plan of action right now? Should we be taking the safe route and remove our mods, or risk being banned and hope that what they say is just propaganda to scare players? Has anyone actually done anything in reaction to Mabi's statement? 

Offline GiratinaAltered

« Reply #33 on: May 11, 2016, 09:02:35 PM »
Soo, what is the best plan of action right now? Should we be taking the safe route and remove our mods, or risk being banned and hope that what they say is just propaganda to scare players? Has anyone actually done anything in reaction to Mabi's statement?
It's likely best to remove all mods to ensure players can play without getting kicked from Mabi. Need to know what possible update might prevent us from modding or using third party programs.

Made items:

Offline Rydian

« Reply #34 on: May 12, 2016, 12:34:46 AM »
http://mabinogi.nexon.net/News/Announcements/1/00IvD
No specific mention of what the block entails.

Will be periodically checking the update server to see what's new, but the files aren't up yet so they might not be up until it goes into maint (or is about to end) like normal nowadays.

Offline xaden

« Reply #35 on: May 12, 2016, 09:59:44 AM »
I don't think much is gonna come of it right away , nexon also said they were gonna get rid of the balista "item" from a glitch and it took them almost 2 years to get rid of mine, if there is one thing i've learned about the mabinogi team is they will enforce something for about a week to a month then forget all about it.
"Look at all those cul-de-sacs, the streets that turn in on themselves all the houses that were built to fall apart. All those paper people in their paper houses burning the furniture to stay warm. All the paper kids drinking the beer some bum bought for them at the paper convenience store. Everyone demented with the mania of owning things. All the things paper-thin and paper-frail."

Offline Pr0boszcz

« Reply #36 on: May 12, 2016, 12:12:09 PM »
I'm online right now and everything seems to work fine modwise, did not update/change anything with my mods and they seem to be working the same after this patch ... so much for enforcing... lol... well I did not really expect anything else.

Offline theanomaly

« Reply #37 on: May 12, 2016, 12:58:15 PM »
Okay... So far so good.
I got an error after the update was completed, so I reopened the client and I had crashed a few times.

Here's what I checked on:
I took Abyss out, and added in a clean ijl15.dll, and I reopened, crashed.
Put Abyss back, and personally, I prefer to now make all of my data things into .pack files.
I have a number of these so I know what's what, they're seperated,
and I can guess and choose what might be causing my problems, rather than rooting through data pathing.

I took a wild guess, removed my recently used Tiara (as of April 27th), and moved it to my desktop for safe keeping.
Reopened, and I got on just fine. So something odd with the recent stuff in Tiara made me crash.
Not sure what though, since I really just use the L-rod glow, Boss HP bars, and some bandit/pursuit stuff.

Offline lessthan3towon

« Reply #38 on: May 12, 2016, 01:10:12 PM »
I loaded Mabi with Abyss; crashed.
Loaded without Abyss; crashed.
Removed Data Packed mods; no crash.

Data Packed mods make the client close as well. That would explain Tiara crashing people as well. It was said on the Nexon forums that any modification to any files for Mabinogi, even MP3 apparently, will deny the player access to the server.

Abyss crashing the client, I understand. But even Data Packing mods causing crashing? That kinda sucks.

Offline Morillo12

« Reply #39 on: May 12, 2016, 01:39:58 PM »
I'm able to log in with Abyss, but not Poison Pack. Not much of a contribution, but I figured it wouldn't hurt to post anyway.

Offline Pr0boszcz

« Reply #40 on: May 12, 2016, 01:40:47 PM »
Oh the Tiara kept me crashing since last patch, seems something related with adding new mobs/NPCs was the cause.

Offline Rothchild

« Reply #41 on: May 12, 2016, 01:41:33 PM »
I updated my clean copy of mabinogi as usually then dropped abyss into my dir. Still works, never tested poison or tiara yet.

Offline KZLivetune

« Reply #42 on: May 12, 2016, 01:56:22 PM »

New players.
Remember, a ton of old players quit the game around the time G20 came out when they discovered that the new raid didn't come with it. Now that Nexon's ad campeign has brought in a ton of new people, there's tons of non-moders who are likely upset about modders. This was likely compounded by the Korean servers having 11 hackers banned, and thus now they're trying to get rid of anyone that might make new players flee the game.
A tinfoil-hat theory a friend of mine had was that Nexon NA purposely left out end-game content from G20 as a means to get rid of old players that weren't spending as much money as they used to, and now they're trying to crack down on mods to get rid of the rest of them so they can bring in new people to drain dry before they repeat the process all over again.
I personally think that Nexon is too dumb to think of a plan that insidious, but when there are guides online labeled "Why whales sing: Heavy spenders drive vitality and retention" I can't help but get a little cynical.

AAAANYWAY
Some mods are apparently unbroken, but default abyss is a no-go. So I'm here to ask if anyone has gotten a stand-alone Multi-client to work, or if I should just run vanilla until this whole thing blows over (since multi-client is the only mod I care about)
Welcome to the Ricefield

Offline Pr0boszcz

« Reply #43 on: May 12, 2016, 02:10:29 PM »
What are you writing about? Abyss works fine, multi client works fine, only a few Tiara files arent compatible but thats due to patch, not the enforce policy.

Offline Rothchild

« Reply #44 on: May 12, 2016, 02:16:47 PM »
all abyss related things seem to be working fine. looks like nexon is going for data mods. sad.

Offline Fl0rn

« Reply #45 on: May 12, 2016, 02:38:58 PM »
Okay, it seems a number of people are complaining about broken files.  You should be checking if nexon updated your files before you come in making accusations.  An update doesn't necessarily mean that the having an outdated file will crash, but don't expect it to work right if you don't.  And knowing if they updated a file, isn't the same as being able to personally update your own mods without help.

Use Mabiunpack or something to see the pack files.  Open the most recent pack file, for most this is 226_to_227.pak or something like that.  Key problems are typically db from the db folder, so cross-reference your db files, see which ones are included in the new pack.  If you're not able to log in, temporarily remove all db files included in the newest pack, see if you can get on after that point.  It's possible for files outside of DB folder to crash you, but they're not nearly as common.

Please do this before you come in claiming what's causing problems.  I feel this should be a basic of modding, but it definitely should be done before you say with any confidence on what you think is causing problems.

Offline KZLivetune

« Reply #46 on: May 12, 2016, 02:45:47 PM »
The fact you guys got everything in Abyss working must mean its something I did to mabinogi myself without realising it, so I completely deleted and re-installed mabinogi, and sure enough, I just slapped abyss' files into the directory and it worked just fine.

Guess my friend's crazy whaling theory is gonna need revamping.
Welcome to the Ricefield

Offline Rydian

« Reply #47 on: May 12, 2016, 03:16:02 PM »
Guys.  Race.xml and other major xml mods causing the game to crash when not updated is totally normal.  It happens all the time.  It's seriously like the number one issue people have.

Offline Venom Log

« Reply #48 on: May 12, 2016, 05:31:31 PM »
I'm able to log in with Abyss, but not Poison Pack. Not much of a contribution, but I figured it wouldn't hurt to post anyway.

Poison Pack FTW!
I updated it to R227 just then. It should be a little more stable.

It looks like anything that changes original package files make you crash,
since Tiara does use DATA Packer to change names in .pack files it'd crash you.
It'd be interesting to see what modders come up with!

Offline The Proffessor

« Reply #49 on: May 13, 2016, 04:51:37 AM »
So for the most part, seems we're dealing with another simple bluff on Nexon's part...lol
E = mc² actually stands for Enjoyment = (Modifying the Client)². The more Mods you have, the Enjoyment increases exponentially.